Wine Dinner

 My roommates and I decided to have a wine dinner with 3 different wines each paired with a specific course. 

Appetizer 


We started the night with an appetizer, and it was salami, mozzarella, brie, and salted crackers. I paired this appetizer with a Brut Opera Prima sparkling wine. The wine paired really well with the food. The food brought out the flavor of the wine. The food helped bring out the citrus flavor of the wine. I was really surprised that that the food did not overwhelm the wine and vice versa. I believe the salinity from the salami and crackers helped balance the acidity from the wine. Shoutout to wine folly for helping me pair the right food with the right wine. With both the acidity and salinity balancing each other out it made the salami taste way better after sipping the wine. Since the salami had some saltiness and mix that with the acidity of the wine you could really taste the meatiness of the salami. The cheese tasted about the same sometimes the flavor came out more but not much. Overall, the food really paired well with each other.



Dinner

 For dinner we had a great tuna steak that was seasoned in olive oil and Italian spices. We paired the tuna with a Santa Julia Viognier. This is a white wine from Argentina. The wine paired really well with the fish. The fish helped balance out the bitterness of the wine. The Italian seasoning really helped bring out the flavor of the wine. The two dishes did not collide with each other at all they went perfect together. When tasting the wine first it was way to bitter for my liking. However, once I took a bite of the fish then drank the wine the flavors of the wine came out and the bitterness of the wine almost went away. I think it was the Italian seasoning that helped bring down the acidity and the bitterness of the wine. This helped make the wine taste way better and it was easier to drink.  Both the wine and the tuna did not overwhelm each other. They paired very well with each other. The acidity went down, and the bitterness went down after eating the tuna and it surprised me that food can do that to wine. After reading about it I was kind of doubting it but once I tried it, it blew my mind. I will defiantly have to make another dinner like this with a similar wine. 


Dessert 

We had a salted Carmel chocolate cheesecake with a La Doria Moscato D'asti.  All I have to say is wow just wow. This was by far my favorite pairing of food and wine.  The wine paired really well with the saltiness and the sweetness of the cheesecake. It brought out the full flavor of the wine. Neither the food nor wine overwhelmed each other both were perfectly paired together.  The wine I chose to pair with this cheesecake was a very sweet wine. So, the acidity of the wine was already low because it was a sweet wine. However, once I took a bite of the cheesecake then took a sip of the wine the wine tasted like a very sweet uncarbonated soda. The flavors of the wine even came out more. Before eating some of the cake the wine was a little bitter and the acidity was a little strong but not by a lot. It was not as strong as the Santa Julia. Then the cake changed everything. The people at vintage cellar really helped me out in choosing a great wine for the tuna and the cake. I will defiantly have to do another dinner like this. It was really worth the money and the time. 









 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 11 Tasting: St. Kilda Brut Cuvee

Week 2 wine 2 tasting Schmitt Sohne Liebfraumilch