David Finlayson The Pepper pot Week 7

Tasting:  David Finlayson The Pepper pot

Name: David Finlayson The Pepper pot

Variety: Blend of Mourvèdre, Tannat, and  Syrah

Region: Stellenbosch, South Africa

Country: South Africa  

Year: 2018

Price: $15

Winery Review: Great Value from David Finlayson, This is almost (Almost) South African equivalent of a Cotes du Rhone blend, marrying Syrah with of Mourvèdre, Tannat, Cinsault, Grenache, and Carignan. Light, floral and spicy, with a hint of wood, red berry fruit and subtle reduction. 2020-2023 (Tim Atkins)

Wine Folly: Pg. 133 monastrell (Mourvèdre) is a deeply bold, smokey red wine found in abundance in central Spain. Its known as Mourvèdre in Southern France. Where its an essential grape for Rhone/GSM blend. Pg 172 Syrah is a rich powerful, and sometimes meaty red wine that originated in the Rhone valley of France. Pg 174 Tannat has some of the highest polyphenois of all red wines.

My review: This was probably one of the most unique wines I have ever tasted. It had a very big fruity flavor and it tasted like plums, which makes sense because 2 of the 3 grapes that were used are made into wines that have a plum type of flavor and aroma. I also could taste a butter oak flavor to this wine.  I Also could get hints of chocolate and blackberries. This is what I mean by it was a unique wine. There were so many flavors that came together it created such a good wine. The wine was also a little dry, but the finish was smooth. For this being my first south African wine, I really enjoyed it. I will have to have this wine again when I make myself dinner.    

 

I had no food when tasting

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 11 Tasting: St. Kilda Brut Cuvee

Week 2 wine 2 tasting Schmitt Sohne Liebfraumilch