Tasting: Villa Poggio Salvi Merlot week 7


Tasting:  Villa Poggio Salvi Merlot

Name: Villa Poggio Salvi

Variety: Merlot

Region: Tuscany, Italy

Country: Italy

Year: 2019

Price: $16

Winery Review: A fresh, fine-tannined red with blackcurrants, walnuts and hints of thyme that follow through to a medium body with a fresh, pretty finish. Drink or hold (James Suckling)

Wine Folly: Pg. 131 Merlot is loved for its boisterous black cherry flavors, supple tannins, and smokey or chocolate finish. Its often found in a Bordeaux blend with cabernet franc. Pg 258. Central Italy includes Tuscany and is known as red wine country.

My review: This Merlot from Italy was very good. The aromas that I could hint was a fruity aroma almost like a wild berry. The medium red tasted very well with a decent fruity and berry taste with a hint of a nutty aftertaste. This wine was a little dry for my liking, but the finish was quite smooth. I think this wine would go well during Christmas time around a nice warm fire. The reason I say that is because of the nutty aftertaste and it reminds me of “Chestnuts on an open fire”.

 

I had no food when tasting

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 11 Tasting: St. Kilda Brut Cuvee

Week 2 wine 2 tasting Schmitt Sohne Liebfraumilch